Qatar’s Global Role, its Foreign Policy and the Gulf Crisis
Qatar’s Global Role
- Maintaining regional and international peace and security is a priority in the State of Qatar’s foreign policy.
- Qatar’s principles and objectives are based on the United Nations’ charter and the rules of international legality which calls for constructive cooperation among States, mutual respect and non-interference in internal affairs, good neighborliness, as well as promoting peaceful coexistence and pursuing peaceful means to settle disputes.
- His Highness the Emir calls for an international convention on settling disputes between States by peaceful means.
- We emphasise again that the State of Qatar will spare no effort in working to strengthen the role and efforts of the United Nations to achieve what the international community seeks in regard to peace and security, and to promote Human rights and advance development.
- Qatar will continue its mediation efforts to find just solutions in conflict zones and will remain, as it has always been known, a safe haven for the oppressed.
- Terrorism and extremism, which are among the most serious challenges facing the world, require a joint confrontation and concerted action against terrorist organizations and their extremist ideology in order to maintain security for humanity and stability for the world.
- His Highness the Emir calls on the governments of the world to cooperate in the security confrontation with terrorism, while ensuring that the fight against terrorism is not used as an umbrella for reprisals or shelling of civilians.
- It is important to address the social, political and cultural root causes of terrorism and extremism in order to stop terrorism.
- His Highness the Emir affirms that the fight against terrorism and extremism was and will continue to be the State of Qatar’s highest priority through its active contributions in regional and international efforts.
- We renew our condemnation of all forms of terrorism and extremism and reject tackling this phenomenon with double standards or by linking it with any particular religion, race, civilization, culture or society.
The Gulf Crisis
- The perpetrators of the hacking and the falsification of the quotes attributed to His Highness have committed an assault against a sovereign State.
- The crime was deliberately committed for political aims, and was followed by a list of political dictations which contravene sovereignty, and caused worldwide astonishment.
- The State of Qatar is ready to put its potential to serve a joint effort around cyber security and electronic piracy.
- The countries who imposed the unjust blockade on Qatar have intervened in the internal affairs of the State by putting pressure on its citizens through foodstuffs, medicine and ripping apart familial relations to force them to change their political affiliation to destabilize a sovereign country. Isn’t this one of the definitions of terrorism?
- This illegal blockade was not confined to the economic aspect and the breach of the WTO Agreement, but it exceeded that to violate the human rights conventions by the arbitrary measures that have caused social, economic and religious harm to thousands of citizens and residents of the GCC countries, due to the violation of the basic human rights to work, education, freedom of movement and the right to dispose of private property.
- The blockading countries went beyond this and pursued their own citizens and residents of their territory by imposing penalties of imprisonment and fines on them for the mere expression of their sympathy with Qatar, even if that was on social media, in a precedent never seen before in the world, in violation of the human rights conventions and agreements that guarantee the right of everyone to freedom of opinion and expression of ideas.
- There are countries that permit themselves not only to attack a neighboring country to dictate its foreign and media policy, but also believe that their possession of funds qualify them to put pressure and blackmail other countries to participate in their aggression, while they are supposed to be held accountable internationally for what they have done.
- His Highness the Emir expresses his pride in the Qatari people, along with the multinational and multicultural residents in Qatar.
- His Highness the Emir expresses his pride in the resilience of the Qatari people in confronting the siege, who rejected the dictations with resolve and pride, and insisted on the independence of Qatar’s sovereign decision, and strengthened its unity and solidarity, and maintained their refined manners and their progress despite the fierceness of the campaign against them and their country.
- His Highness the Emir renews the call for unconditional dialogue based on mutual respect for sovereignty for resolving the Gulf crisis.
- His Highness the Emir renews his thanks to brotherly and friendly countries that recognise the importance of respecting the sovereignty of states and the provisions of international law.
- Israel rejects the Arab Peace initiative and still stands in the way of achieving it. The international community must give high priority to the resumption of peace negotiations on the basis of ending the Israeli occupation of the Arab territories and reaching a just, comprehensive and final settlement based on international law and the establishment of an independent Palestinian state on the 1967 borders with Jerusalem as its capital.
- His Highness the Emir renews his appeal to the Palestinian brothers to complete national reconciliation.
- The need to work seriously to reach a political solution to the Syrian crisis in a way that meets the aspirations of the Syrian people for justice, dignity and freedom, and maintains the unity and sovereignty of Syria, in accordance with the Geneva decisions.
- Qatar will spare no effort in providing support and assistance to alleviate the humanitarian suffering of our Syrian brothers and to implement our humanitarian pledges within the framework of the United Nations.
- The importance of concerted local efforts in Libya to support the Government of national accord, which has been established with the support of United Nations, in its efforts to restore stability, counter terrorism and its grave consequences.
- Supporting the efforts of the Iraqi government in its endeavor to achieve security, stability and unity.
- We affirm the State of Qatar’s support for the Iraqi government in its fight against terrorism.
- The importance of maintaining Yemen’s unity, security and stability, and ending the state of infighting and war and adopting dialogue, political solution and national reconciliation as a basis for ending this crisis and implementing the Security Council resolution 2216.
- The State of Qatar supports the efforts of the UN envoy to end the Yemen crisis.
- We call upon the international community to facilitate the access of humanitarian assistance to various Yemeni regions.
- His Highness the Emir renews the call for conducting a constructive dialogue between the GCC countries and Iran on the basis of common interests, the principle of good neighborliness, respect for the sovereignty of States and non-interference in their internal affairs in order to achieve security and stability in the Gulf region.